Wednesday, February 27, 2008

flowers for rena lee

my friend bill told me about rena lee a few days ago. it caught me like a knife in my belly. i wasn't expecting it, and it hurt, even if i never knew rena lee.

bill keeps telling me that when i see that man of mine that i should grab him and kiss him, tell him i love him. because i don't know when it will be the last time i see him. he says to never walk away angry.

but what if i am angry? what if i'm not the one who forgets how quickly life sweeps us away from each other? what if i keep bringing flowers for rena lee but she won't look at them?

tonight i want to wrap myself into a ball and cry. because galen has cancer, and bia has cancer, and some of my friends hurt so much their insides are curled into hard knots. and outside my window a policeman is chasing a black car. and there is a war i can't stop. and my niece's fat bottom is broken up into a thousand fat folds that i wish i could bite, and my body screams for one of those but i can't have one.

No comments: